Antiperspirants can cause a number of skin issues.
Antiperspirants work by closing up the pores to prevent perspiration, but this means that sweat builds up beneath the skin. It actually forms little aluminum plugs in the pores of your pits, so you don’t sweat. This can cause bumpy skin and painful irritation.
Some diseases have been linked to antiperspirants.
Because antiperspirants are applied to pits on skin near breasts, some reports claim that the chemicals could be absorbed through your skin and cause estrogen-like hormonal effects. Alzheimer’s and Breast Cancer have both been linked to aluminum compounds found in antiperspirants, and some might even contain infertility-causing toxic chemicals.
Natural deodorant can actually have benefits for your health.
Natural deodorant doesn’t block pores, so that good bacteria keeps working, meaning less odor even when you’re not wearing any deodorant. The ingredients in natural deodorant is safe for your body and little to no irritation and redness for most people is a result. It is natural to sweat and it’s the way our body regulates body temperature and releases toxins.
- If you use an antiperspirant now, you will go through a detox period that can be a bit unpleasant. After years of having your sweat ducts plugged up by the aluminum in antiperspirants, your body will release these toxins. During this ‘detox’ or transition period – which typically lasts about 2 weeks and can be up to a month – you may find yourself sweating more and notice a different, pungent odor from your sweat. This will change after your body has released all the toxins.
- If you are having a hard time dealing with the odor while you go through detox, you can mix up a clay mask for your pits to help with the transition. You can apply a clay mask by mixing 1 TBS Bentonite clay, t tsp vinegar and 1 tsp water (you can also mix the clay with coconut oil for a more hydrating mix). Mix it up, apply to dry pits and let it sit for 5 to 20 minutes. It may cause a little redness bringing blood to the area but will go away. Wash off in shower. Repeat as needed.
- You can also mix up an Activated Charcoal mask using 1 TBS of Charcoal to 1 TBS vinegar and apply to dry pits letting it sit for 5 to 20 minutes.
- You can also wash your pits with warm soapy water midday if your schedule allows for it. Or use a wipe. It’s not your sweat that is causing odor, it’s the bacteria that grows on the sweat that causes odor. After a quick cleanse then reapply deodorant.
- Everyone has different body chemistry… so the different oils will respond differently to everyone. You may find that one works better than another for you.
- A few swipes to your pits are enough and you may need to reapply during the transition, so take it with you.
- Our deodorant is unique in that we added Original Skin Repair No. 01 to every batch, (which calms red itchy skin and is anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral), so we are hoping our deodorant works well for even those sensitive pits that get red or a rash.
- Another unique ingredient is Diatomaceous Earth. It not only helps neutralize under arm odor and helps absorb moisture but the best part is that it also works to draw out any toxins and heavy metals from our body.
Thank you all for being so patient and awesome while I make the best deodorant I can. I want to share with you that perfecting my deodorant recipe has been the hardest project to master and I’m not afraid to admit it.
I’m doing my very best to offer a natural deodorant for our wonderful customers that is effective, with natural ingredients and we are running into a few bumps in the road so to speak. . .
One of the ingredients I use is Diatomaceous Earth, and although it’s a fine powder in it’s dry state, I discovered that it can make the deodorant a little too gritty when added into the mix with the amount that I was using. Some of the deodorant was turning out o.k. and other sticks were feeling quite gritty… So, I decided to reduce the amount of Diatomaceous Earth and increase the Arrowroot Powder which offers a smoother texture. You may ask, why not just remove the Diatomaceous Earth? The reason I’m adamant about using Diatomaceous Earth is because it not only helps neutralize under arm odor and helps absorb moisture but the best part is that it also works to draw out any toxins and heavy metals from our body. . . so I really want to keep it in the mix.
So, if you found that the deodorant you purchased was too gritty, I’m asking for you to please give it another go. We may have to put up with a hair of hardness to reap the benefits, however, the batches I’ve been making seem to be much smoother and that’s my continued goal.
I’m dedicated to making the best deodorant that I can. If you purchased one of our deodorants and felt it was to gritty and you’re questioning if you would purchase again, please consider giving it another go. Thank you so much for your understanding.